Compact enough to carry with you, but also versatile enough to run demanding applications, a cheap and efficient laptop is the best tool to do serious work or to play at home and on the road.
While tablets and standalone smartphones are becoming commonplace in homes, most people realize that typing a document, doing a long search or any other tedious job is more enjoyable when done on a laptop ultra thin or ultra fast.
There is a wide variety of sizes, prices, and models with various features making the choice of a powerful computer highly complicated …
So what do you think is the laptop that fits your habits? Do not hesitate and see our comparison of cheaper pc that you can buy in minutes online!
Best Laptops Under 500 by Top Brands
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8130U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-lit Display
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 14.2" Wide, 0.8" Thin and portable footprint with 0.3" Nano edge bezel for a stunning 80% screen-to-body ratio
- 15.6-Inch IPS Touchscreen FHD (1920x1080)
- 8th Generation Intel Quad Core i5-8250U
- Upgrade RAM for multitasking, available at 4gb|8gb|16gb
- Upgrade SSD for fast boot up and running, available at 128gb|256gb|512gb|1tb SSD, or 500gb|1tb|2tb HDD
- Windows 10 operating system Windows 10 brings back the start menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features,...
- 14" Display bright View glossy screen maintains the vivid colors in your photos and videos. Typical 1366 x 768...
- 15.6-inch diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touchscreen (1366x768), Intel UHD Graphics 605, HD Webcam
- Intel Pentium Silver N5000 - 1.10 GHz, up to 2.70 GHz Turbo, 4 Core, 4MB Cache, 802.11b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth,
- Upgrade RAM for multitasking, available at 4GB|8GB|16GB
- Upgrade SSD for fast bootup and running, available at 128GB|256GB|512GB|1TB SSD, or 500GB|1TB|2TB HDD
- Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad, HP Digital Pen in natural silver included.
- 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS Bright View micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen (1920 x 1080)
- 15.6" HD display with 1366 x 768 resolution, Powered by a 2.70GHz AMD A12-9720P Quad core processor
- 1TB 5,400rpm HDD hard drive provides plenty of storage, 8GB DDR4 memory
- Ready for drops and spills with rugged construction with reinforced rubber guards, easy grip handles, and a...
- Lightweight 2.65 pound body and rugged construction that can be dropped from 3.9 feet* so you can take it...
- 15.6" HD display with 1366 x 768 resolution; AMD Radeon R7 graphics
- AMD A12-9720P Quad core processor with 2.70 GHz in base, and Turbo to 3.6 GHz.
- 15.6" HD LEDTouchscreen Display (1366 x 768), 10-finger multi-touch support
- Intel Quad Core Pentium Silver Processor N5000 (1.1GHz, up to 2.7GHz)
How to choose the ideal laptop?
Depending on the operating system
It is actually not easy to know which platform you really need and even more if you are not familiar with Mac and PC. Be aware that most brand laptops are designed with one of three systems: Windows, Chrome OS or Mac OS X (Macbook only). In the end, choosing the right platform depends on your personal preferences. Here are the most used:
This is the most flexible operating system, Windows is present in many more models of laptops than Chrome OS or Mac OS X. The range of Windows notebooks offers really cheap models.
You can find less than 500 euros and others more powerful at more than 1000 euros with more sophisticated features and a more sought after design.
Windows 10 is the latest version of the Microsoft system with many improvements including Windows 7 and 8 were lacking including the ability to switch to tablet and pc quickly. The “Start” menu is also reworked with a Cortana assistant. Windows also offer many applications.
MAC OS X
All MacBook laptops are sold with a proprietary Apple brand operating system Apple, Apple OS X El Capitan. Overall, this operating system offers similar functionality to Windows 10 but with a difference in the interface.
iPhone and iPad users will appreciate using this type of laptop with the LaunchPad application.
However, OS X is not in the touch, the keys although being of excellent quality do not allow a tactile touch for the moment. The Apple screen is not at all tactile as could be for example a Windows Hp laptop.
There are Chrome OS laptops at very low prices. This is the case for example of the Lenovo pc 100s Chromebook. Google’s OS is very simple and very secure.
Also, the user interface is similar to Windows with its menu of applications. You can even slide the windows on the desk quietly sitting on your comfortable office chair.
The problem is that there are few offline applications and those that exist are not always operational. In any case, if you need to buy a cheaper laptop to surf the web with a nice pc Vaio, with Chrome you will be served!
Depending on the size of your screen
Before taking a look at the specifics of the product, think about the format of the pc you need. Do you want a rather discreet that can even fit in your bag or tote? Or, you want a large format laptop …
Be aware that Samsung, Toshiba, and other brands are ranked by their screen size.
Models between 11 and 12 inches are the smallest. They are also equipped with very light systems for minimum weight. You can also buy a cheap Samsung laptop 13 or 14 inches. This model is easy to transport and its use is simple whether for classes, work or leisure.
The 15 inch PCs are the most popular. They are equipped with a big screen so they take a lot of space. This is the ideal choice if you do not plan to take it with you on a trip or otherwise. Finally, the 17 and 19-inch models are perfect if you plan to buy a laptop to play or work long.
According to the brand
A bit like cars, you’re spoiled for choice. If you prefer MAC, you will find different models at a lower price in a few clicks through this comparison.
If you prefer to stay on the PC, you can buy a computer with a good price/quality ratio. This is the case, for example, Samsung models, Dell PCs, HP models, and many others.
According to these characteristics
The most impressive features that a laptop can have are not worth much if the ergonomics of the pc is not effective.
If you plan to do a lot of work on your design desk with a cheap computer, make sure that the keyboard has good tactile feedback and that there is enough space between the keys. Opt for a model with a cursor that responds to multi-key gestures.
In addition, components such as hard disk, processor, RAM, and graphics chip can confuse notebook enthusiasts. Here are the important features to consider when choosing your laptop.
On the other hand, if you do not need a touch computer, bet on a simple model or 2 in 1 that will not reduce the life of its battery.
Hard disk and RAM
Even more important than the speed of your processor, the capacity of your hard drive will allow you to store what you need on your pc.
Some cheap computers under 500 euros are equipped with a RAM of 2 Giga. Ideally, the minimum would be 4 Giga if you want a good performance and 8 Giga if you can spend more.
The more pixels you have, the nicer the display will be with a visible and readable content. Most inexpensive PCs come with a 1366 x 768-pixel display but if you can, you can buy a model with a more qualitative display including a full HD laptop.
You can also choose a high-end laptop with screens of 2560 x 1600 pixels or more. However, they are more greedy in terms of battery.
If you’re not necessarily a great PC player, do not create 3D objects or videos, a computer with advanced graphics will not help you. Otherwise, you can buy AMD processor
The duration of the battery
If you’re going to buy a PC for basic use, you do not have to spend a lot of money.
However, if you are thinking about using your computer for hours, for work, at home, a model with a battery that can hold 6 hours will be the right choice!
2 in 1 model
In recent days, many ultra-fast and cheap computers are in the category of 2-in-1 models with devices to easily switch to tablet mode. They are often offered with detachable styles.
Indeed, the screens are detached from the keyboard or there are also very flexible portable pc models with a rotation of 360 degrees.
These are new generation notebooks for those who want the best of technology. However, if you can settle for a traditional model, do not hesitate to choose on the internet a computer running classic through a suitable comparison.
Depending on the processor
The processor is by far the most important feature before you can validate your purchase on the internet. That’s why it’s important to compare models that caught your attention.
AMD A series or Intel Core i3 / i5
If you’re looking for a consumer laptop, be it a color computer like a pink or green laptop for example. The best combination in terms of price is the Core i5 or i3 Core laptop.
Models with AMD A processor are less common but still promise a similar performance. The Intel Core i7 models are great for those who want a pc type gamer or pro use.
AMD E Series or Intel Pentium / Celeron
These are processors that can be found on PCs at very low prices. They provide minimal performance to perform basic tasks such as watching videos, editing documents and surfing the internet.
It is also a processor that can be found on low-cost pc and 2 in 1 model. They offer a basic performance but with a battery longer than Celeron or Pentium.
Intel core m3 / m5 / m7
Models of low power and low performance. However, the performance is better than Celeron but a notch below the Core i3 and i5.
Price of a laptop
Right now, you can choose and compare a lot of really cheap PCs. You have less than 300 euros on the internet. If you have a larger budget, to make an investment, you can consider buying a model with better design, more complete features, and a durable battery.