Brock Lesnar has announced that he has signed a multiyear contract to stay with the WWE. Lesnar’s current contract with WWE was due to expire after his appearance on WWE Raw scheduled for next Monday. WWE heavyweight champion Lesnar told ESPN in an interview that he would never go back to the UFC. For months, speculation had been brewing that Lesnar would possibly leave WWE at the end of his contract and head back to the UFC.
Lesnar is the only man to ever win championships in WWE, UFC and NCAA. In his third UFC fight, Lesnar defeated Randy Couture to become world heavyweight champion of the sport. He is one of only four men to ever successfully defend the UFC Heavyweight Championship twice. Lesnar left the UFC in December 2011 after his first-round loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141.
The current WWE World Heavyweight Champion returned to WWE in April 2012 the day after WrestleMania 28. He has spent the past year establishing his place in professional wrestling. Since returning, he has slowly turned into the greatest “final boss” in professional wrestling history. His title defenses on a pay-per-view or on RAW have been some of the most popular events for the sport.
During WWE’s biggest event of the year, WrestleMania 31, Lesnar will defend his title against Roman Reigns. Lesnar’s recent run with the company has been one of the most exciting and invigorating runs by one wrestler. Many have been quick to speculate that his re-signing means he will retain the world title when he goes up against Roman Reigns. WrestleMania 31 will be held at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
Lesnar admitted in the interview that he struggled with the decision for a while. He said, “It was a very hard decision for me. The fighter inside of me wants to compete. I’m an older caveman now so I make wiser caveman decisions, so I’m here to say that my legacy in the octagon is over.” He continued on to say, “At the end of the day it’s all about me wanting to have fun.”